Friday, August 5, 2011

I keep forgetting to be a blogger

So July was a busy month! I finished up at my job, got married, went to Bali, came back to find my son has fully transformed into an evil genius and my bank account has been emptied. Woohoo!

July Debrief Commence!

Quitting my job (as I mentioned already) was scary shizzle, but I am so relieved to be rid of that place. I popped in the other day after not seeing it for a month and had several customers ask me when I was coming back. Oh they loves them some Amy! Most of my staff have jumped ship, and the remaining two original staff members look pretty miserable. It's not nice to enjoy that sort of thing is it? But maybe now the owners will appreciate my work... not likely.

Then we got married! I had to leave my last day of work early to drive down to the bay to have a rehearsal with the celebrant. It was freezing cold and blowing a gale. The celebrant declared we wouldn't be able to marry outside. I was devastated and made her promise to wait and see what the weather would be like in a few days. The night before the wedding we spontaneously met up with family and friends for dinner. It was the most fun I've had in ages and I am so thankful that it worked out so well. The next morning it was cold and dreary with misty rain. I decided there was no point in wallowing and stayed positive. By midday it was bright, sunny and still. Perfect! The wedding went ahead perfectly, with the only drama being that one of the cars didn't show and we had to be ferried in the same car to the reception, making me a very late bride. But that's the point right?

Bali was um... a culture shock. It was definitely an interesting experience. I don't think I could ever learn to be comfortable with being a rich person in a poor country. The desperation and despair was incredibly unnerving, and the pressure to buy, spend, eat, drink. You buy, you buy!? Women would grab my hand as I walked through alleys and when I pulled free they'd yell abuse in Indonesian. The porters at the airport demanded we opened our bags, then charged us $20 to get to out; we'd been warned about grifting but when it's your first time in an international airport you get a bit freaked. One night in Seminyak a man dressed as a policeman popped up behind a fence in a dark yard and asked me if I wanted to come and smoke the reefer with him. I'm pretty sure that's a one way ticket to extortion. Overall, I appreciated the beauty of the place and the amazing food, but I'm not sure if I'd have the balls to return.

We are home now and back to work. Routine is difficult to manage now thanks to my son suddenly testing our every last bit of patience, but I'll break him. He turns three in under a month. That'll be a magic number right? Perfectly behaved children start at 3, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment